Childrearing

Viral Facebook Post Has Parents Terrified That Sophie The Giraffe Is A Choking Hazard

By  | 

51BnShDWcUL._SL1024_We all know Sophie the Giraffe, the accessible/aspirational organic rubber French baby teether that all fancy babies seem to have and adore. At $25, Sophie is expensive, but inexpensive enough that she is an “affordable luxury.” Everyone recognizes her cute little face and her whimsical European pedigree, and that makes her one of the most desirable baby toys on the market today, but now thanks to a viral Facebook post, people are freaking out over the possibility that sweet little Sophie the Giraffe could be a choking hazard.

According to a Facebook post by a mother named Katie Jones, disaster was narrowly averted recently when she found her six-month-old daughter, Paige, choking on one of Sophie’s legs.

“On the 8th July 2015 Paige was happily munching on Sophie,” she wrote. “I walked to the kitchen to grab something. On my return I realised she had become quiet and lifeless. When I checked on Paige she was turning blue. Paige had got the whole of one of Sophies legs lodged down her throat. I had to unhook it free and pull out the leg from the back of her throat. I was absolutely terrified. I gave some firm pats on my daughters back and this made her throw up and take a breath.”

Paige is OK now, but Jones points out that Sophie’s legs are long enough to get lodged in the back of a baby’s throat, and a baby too young to get it out could choke on it.

According to Yahoo Parenting, parents should be careful with any toy that extends more than an inch into a baby’s mouth.

“Kids have different depths to their throats, and parents likely wouldn’t know that, so a guideline should be to make sure all pieces of the toy are less than an inch long and that a child can’t bite any of them off,” said Dr. Deborah Gilboa.

Sophie’s legs are two to three inches long. And while Sophie is very popular and babies all over the world–including mine–have used Sophie without incident, this story is pretty frightening. It really drives home the necessity of watching a baby at all times. We know not to leave small babies with blankets or stuffed animals, but even something as popular and innocuous as Sophie can apparently be dangerous. Ugh, I don’t know about you, but I’ not going to be able to sleep for the next 23 years.

People do love Sophie, but commenters on Jones’ Facebook post indicated that they would be less likely to want to use her after hearing about Paige’s near tragedy. Vulli, which makes Sophie the Giraffe, also makes a Sophie teething ring that is made from the same organic rubber and has the same cute Sophie style, but has no long narrow pieces.

41WSt1T8ECL

(Via Amazon)

It might not be the iconic Sophie teether, but it’s probably a good option for any Sophie-loving parent who has been terrified by this particular viral Facebook post.

(Photo: Amazon)

3 Comments

  1. Nicole

    October 12, 2020 at 12:35 am

    This is my post from today 10/11/2020
    WARNING to all parents!!!!!!
    This morning I was sitting on the couch while my 4 month old daughter was laying on her play mat in front of me playing with her sophie la girafe teether, which she loves. She had her face turned away from me when I heard her cough and then start to choke. I jumped up to find the leg of this toy logged in her throat. I quickly removed it and then with a gasp for air she started with a painful cry. My daughter is ok, but I am now traumatized from this. I tried looking up how to report this when I found this happen to others. I can’t believe this toy is advertised as safe after this has been reported as a choking hazard. This company needs to be responsible and stop selling this toy before the ultimate price is paid with an innocent baby’s life. Please share this with others to hopefully do our part in the safety of our precious babies. This is not the end of this for me.

  2. Nicole Wiener

    October 12, 2020 at 12:45 am

    Updated
    This is my post from today 10/11/2020
    WARNING to all parents!!!!!!
    This morning I was sitting on the couch while my 4 month old daughter was laying on her play mat in front of me playing with her sophie la girafe teether, which she loves. She I heard her cough and then start to choke. I jumped up to find the leg of this toy logged in her throat. I quickly removed it and then with a gasp for air she started with a painful cry. My daughter is ok, but I am now traumatized from this. I tried looking up how to report this when I found this happen to others. I can’t believe this toy is advertised as safe after this has been reported as a choking hazard. This is a toy described as a teether for 0+ months, a toy that is supposedly safe for a baby to stick in their mouth. This company needs to be responsible and stop selling this toy before the ultimate price is paid with an innocent baby’s life. Please share this with others to hopefully do our part in the safety of our precious babies. This is not the end of this for me.

  3. Pingback: Prevent Peanut Allergy by Introducing Peanuts Early

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *