Childrearing

Parents Cautioned Over Using ‘Big Bow Headbands’ After Death Of Baby Girl

By  | 
Parents Cautioned Over Using  Big Bow Headbands  After Death of Baby Girl iStock 535940129 jpg

 (iStock / eurobanks)

Parents are being issued a new warning regarding big bow headbands after the death of a 14-month-old girl who suffocated when a bow fell off her head and over her mouth and nose.

According to reports, the infant was sleeping in her cot after a walk with her mom. At some point during her nap, the bow slipped down, restricting her airways. Her mother later came to find her daughter was unresponsive, only to realize the baby girl had passed away.

In the wake of the tragedy, a friend of the mother (who remains nameless at this time) took to Facebook to issue a warning to other parents:

“Putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them. My friend has sadly just lost her 14-week-old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk. When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving.. she had passed away. Post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation,” said the post.

“She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have,” she added.

The post has since been deleted without explanation.

Few details are known about the incident save that the baby girl’s name was Holly, and that the family is located somewhere in Scotland. Police in Scotland however have been unable to confirm any of the details regarding baby Holly’s death.

Parents should still take the cautionary tale to heart, however. Should you choose to place a big bow on your baby’s head, make sure to take it off whenever they are out of sight and while they nap. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of another such tragedy to occur.

 

comments
Share
Pin
Tweet