If you need a parenting pick-me-up that will help you feel less alone, these parenting before coffee memes will give you life. Not only are they hilarious, but as you read this while sipping on your first cup of probably cold-by-now coffee while the kids are running around tearing your house apart, you can get that needed laughter into your day.
Parenting is hard, but trying to parent before your first cup of coffee is almost impossible. I should know. I’m barely able to keep my eyes open as I type this out, with only half a cup in my system. It’s funny, because it took me a long time to get back on the coffee train. I’m sure many mamas out there were also big on the espresso prior to pregnancy. But I figured I’d nix it while I baked my bun in the oven, and afterward, it just made me jittery.
These days, I have a toddler. A toddler who likes to crawl into my bed at 3 a.m. and kick me for hours. A toddler who sometimes just wakes up to play with his cars because…he missed them. A toddler who has the energy of a speed ball in human form whenever I’m even remotely tired, and then just wants to cuddle and sleep when I’m finally up. Maybe some of you can relate. That’s why I’ve compiled some memes that accurately depict what it’s like to parent before coffee, from how dysfunctional we can be, to what we’re thinking when we finally get the cup, and everything in between.
Because the only way we can all get through this alive is by making each other laugh.
1. All of us before we find the coffee maker
2. Who doesn’t look like this in the morning. You know, when your kids are already vying for your attention
3. Sometimes we just need the coffee. Other days, we need a little more…
Survival kit for being a sleep deprived parent: Coffee + Tylenol (extra strength). This shit is real.
— Yeyem Nunez (@yeyempadilla) April 17, 2016
4. When even the barista gets your struggle
*wakes up, puts on sweatpants*
*drives to coffee shop*
*orders 4 large coffees*
*looks at me*
"So how many kids do you have?"
— Mike Reynolds (@EverydayGirlDad) February 22, 2016
5. What we think right before that first glorious sip
6. And mantra as we bring the cup to our lips
I'm just a girl. Standing in front of a coffee mug. Hoping to drink it before it's cold.
— Jennifer S. White (@yenniwhite) August 1, 2016
7. The gift that truly gets the essence of why we need coffee
— Why How Come (@whyhowcomes) June 17, 2017
8. And this is why we need to DRINK the coffee before anything else
I just poured my cereal + milk in my coffee mug and coffee in my cereal bowl. This morning's off to a good start. #sleepyparent
— Caitlin Coakley (@CommuniCaitlin) May 17, 2012
9. Actually, this, too
I just put baby formula in the coffee maker! #sleepyparent
— Chris Flores (@Chris_JBMB) March 1, 2016
10. Why we also need to be sure to drink it before daycare or school drop off
I didn't have time to have my coffee before drop off this morning. Anyway. Hopefully I brought them to the right school.
— Lurkin' Mom (@LurkAtHomeMom) September 22, 2016
11. When we’re about to drink the coffee but aren’t sure if we’ll become good mommy or evil mommy afterward
12. Basically all of us, yes?
13. And when there is no coffee and we still have to parent, we get…
— Ellie Augustin (@Elliesworld) February 25, 2017
14. Old joke, but still. This is how many of us moms feel
— Melanie (@vinogger) January 28, 2017
15. And finally…Lorelai Gilmore: understanding the need for coffee by parents everywhere
Lorelai Gilmore – Gilmore Girls
•ray of sunshine
•needs coffee in an iv
•best mom ever
•sarcasm queen pic.twitter.com/KQ2sD8xmIV
— elise (@arisbdavis) October 27, 2016
What is your favorite way to drink your coffee? Let us know in the comments and add your own meme if you have a favorite!