Child Abuse

Pennsylvania Mom Accidentally Gives Baby Vodka And That’s Not Even The Worst Part

By  | 

Pennsylvania Mom Accidentally Gives Baby Vodka And That s Not Even The Worst Part vodka bottle jpgIf you need some reassurance on your parenting skills today, here’s a story for you. A 26-year-old Pennsylvania mom lost custody of her baby this week after accidentally mixing the child’s formula with vodka. Now, this is awful, obviously, but personally I don’t think it’s the worst part. The worst part is how she defended herself. Apparently it’s totally okay that her toddler was sent to the hospital with a BA level three times the legal limit, because it was the baby’s known drug addict and alcoholic babysitter who left the booze in her fridge! Silly CPS, you can give that baby back now!

Jessica Bachmaier, from Erie Pennsylvania, says that she inadvertently mixed her 13-month-old daughter Nevaeh‘s  batch of formula with vodka after it was accidentally left in a water bottle in her fridge. Bachmaier claims that she doesn’t drink or typically keep alcohol in the house, so it’s understandable that she didn’t check to make sure the liquid was actually water. I mean, I don’t make a habit of sniffing everything I take out of my fridge, and I do enjoy the occasional drink. But her explanation for how the booze ended up there is just mind-boggling. Apparently Bachmaier left her child with a male friend who she specifically describes as a “known alcoholic and drug addict.”

Before I get flamed, I want to say that I understand that things happen and sometimes you gotta work and you’re left with less-than-desirable choices for childcare. But if this guy can’t even go a few hours without a drink, then I would at least be aware of it and make sure to check my fridge for any leftovers.

But wait! There’s more!

According to Bachmaier, after the child drank the mixture she almost immediately started acting odd:

“Her motor skills weren’t there. She wasn’t cooperating. She was like a limp noodle…like a zombie.”

“So she must have rushed to the hospital,” is what you must be thinking. Nope. According to the NBC News report, Bachmaier let the baby sleep, “passed out on the coffee table.” For over an hour. Even though she was completely unresponsive:

I let her sleep for an hour and 15 minutes and then I took her to the hospital…I was very surprised as I don’t drink,’ Bachmaier said.

No charges have been filed as of yet, but the police are investigating, as well as the District Attorney. Children’s Services have also been contacted and Nevaeh is in foster care.

(Photo: night_cat/Shutterstock)

comments
Share
Pin
Tweet