1. Ugh, not again.
Didn't we just have a project? The hot glue gun isn't even cool yet from last time.
2. We have plenty of time!
Oh, it's due in two weeks? Let's just stick it on the side of the fridge to deal with later.
3. Maybe we should get a head-start, though.
We do have soccer starting up soon and also, dates on the calendar to man Girl Scout cookie booths. We should at least get the research part done, right?
Two weeks is basically eternity. No need to rush into things.
5. I'll just shop for the materials.
Gotta hit up AC Moore anyway to buy yarn for knitting projects I will never start so I might as well get whatever we need.
6. God, this is more involved than I thought.
Yikes. She's basically being asked to construct the whole ocean floor in the bottom of a shoe box. Better fire up the Keurig, we're going to be here awhile.
7. I don't care if it's perfect, she's doing most of it herself.
Deep breaths. It's for a second grader, the end result should look like it. Sit on your hands if you have to. Do not take over.
8. Ok, I'll just sit with her and give suggestions.
It can't hurt to share my thoughts, right? I am a partner in her education, after all. And besides, my ideas are amazing.
9. Oh, just let me do this one part.
She can't be expected to cut the paper to match the sides of the shoe-box exactly. This is a "grown-up" part. Just step aside, child. I've got this.
10. Everyone's crying and you vow not to wait until the last minute next time.
You take over a little more because bedtime is coming, she's melting down and you are cursing yourself for not getting started sooner. Next time, you will know better. Yeah....that's it.