What This Mom Found In The Banana She Almost Fed Her Daughter Will Send You To Nightmareville
Fair warning — this story may cause you to want to set your computer on fire. As a person with a major bug phobia, it was difficult for me to read. A mother in Wales was going about her business, getting ready to feed her six year old daughter a banana, and got the shock of a lifetime. A Brazilian Wandering Spider, the world’s most venomous spider, had eggs nesting inside of a banana. Let’s get ready to bleach our brains, shall we? Here is the photo of the nest in the banana:
Woman in the UK found a Brazilian wandering spider cocoon -the worlds deadliest spider- on fruit she bought at Tesco pic.twitter.com/7sdbwliPt8
— Latin Post (@latinpost) March 12, 2015
From The Daily Mail, this horrifying tale of innocent fruit eating gone wrong. Maria Layton, of South Wales, bought Tesco bananas from her local supermarket and took them home. Her daughter, Siri, asked for one and that was when Layton noticed the added surprise in the bunch:
‘I remembered seeing a news story about them, so I Googled it. I went through the images and there was an image which looked very similar to mine.
‘I was so scared – I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but have read about the Brazilian Wandering Spiders and was very frightened about the potential threat.
‘The spider cocoon started to unfurl so I put it in a sealed box and put it in the freezer as I read that is supposed to kill them.’
It unfurled?! I am officially done with the internet for today and may need therapy. Can you even imagine watching the nest of a deadly species of spider unfurling in your home? This poor woman. She called Tesco and it sounds like they really bungled it. They asked her to take the bananas, deadly spider nest and all, back to the store for a refund. Jesus, I think getting your $2 back is probably the last concern at this point. Layton stated her dissatisfaction with them and all I can say is, PREACH:
‘Tesco were a bit useless. I really wanted some helpful advice on how to act.
‘Tesco failed to see the potential threat to me and my family and thought I was only interested in having a pound or so back. I called Food Standards but they said it wasn’t anything to do with them, I called Trading Standards but they were shut.
‘I spent an hour and a half ringing round trying to get some help while I had this potentially killer spider in the house.’
Yeah, I’ll say they were useless. I would have expected some kind of hazard crew with blow torches arriving at my doorstep within the hour but, I will cop to an unusually fervent fear of bugs. And while not nearly deadly, I did once find a cicada bug in my Lean Cuisine several years ago. Thankfully, I discovered it while stirring the dinner midway through cooking so I never bit into it or even ate from the food around it. When I called Lean Cuisine to complain, they were basically all “cool story, bro” and sent me some coupons. I was pretty upset at the time, but now that I know even a deadly spider nest is not enough to really light a fire under a company’s ass, I am not surprised at their blase reaction.
Moral of the story? All processed foods and anything handled by humans or living in nature — basically, anything edible, has the potential to have bugs in it. Or contaminants. It’s a risk we all take with every bite we put into our mouths. I hope this post hasn’t ruined anyone’s lunch today but I will say — I left the banana out of my afternoon smoothie and probably will for the next few days until I shake off this creepy-crawly feeling.
(Feature Image: Shutterstock)
(Post Image: Twitter)