Last month, Jon Bon Jovi‘s 19-year-old daughter Stephanie Bongiovi had quite a scare when a bit of hard college partying went bad. The young woman suffered from a meth overdose, but was thankfully okay after being rushed to the hospital. Now, her music legend of a father is talking about the ordeal. Honestly, I can imagine that my dad would sound remarkably similar to this if he found one of his kids in this scary situation.
Bon Jovi tells the Associated Press that after such an incident, “You surround them with the best help and love and move on, and that’s where we’re at with it.” Any parent would be shocked to find themselves facing such a challenge, and this one was no different. “Steph is a great kid. Great GPA. Cool school … everything about it is idyllic. She was doing great, then a sudden and steep decline.”
We noted when the incident happened that although the situation was serious, from both a medical and a legal perspective, the scariest thing is how common it is for college partying to go too far. While we heard about the incident because of Stephanie’s famous father, I’m positive that there were other girls on college campuses around the country that overdid it, found themselves sick, in emergency rooms, or even jail cells that week. We just didn’t cover their stories in the national press.
I think the fact that this situation is so universal makes Bon Jovi’s response all the more sympathetic. While most of us hate to think of our children falling into this kind of trouble, I think we realize that it is a possibility. A scary, sad possibility.
The musician finished up the discussion about his family’s recent troubles with a sentiment that every parent on the planet is mighty familiar with. “We bring home this girl the first day. Now what? Where’s the manual? There was no manual. So you bring her up the best you can, you surround her with hugs and kisses and know that she may eventually fall down.”
Celebrities… Maybe they really are just like us.