When I became a Starbucks barista during my college years, I envisioned days of learning how to whip up frothy coffee creations and a lifetime supply of free baked goods. What I didn’t expect was to absorb, however, along with the smell of freshly-ground espresso, was a preparation for my future as a parent. Who knew there could be so many parallels between serving up coffee to sleep-deprived college students and motherhood? Although, I admit, maybe I should have seen the sleep deprivation thing coming…
Here are 21 lessons on motherhood gleaned from my life as a professional coffee maker:
1. Sometimes, whipped cream can make anything better.
(photo: Seosaid/ flickr)
2. Expensive is not always better.
At $10 or $2, that coffee is still a coffee. The same may be said for diapers.
(photo: polyfaze / flickr)
3. Everyone needs to eat cake for lunch at least once.
It’s kind of a must.
4. Fancy names can work wonders.
You better believe I’m going to pretend that PB & J is a “super-special, top-secret-spy-girl” sandwich just so my kid will eat it. After all, that “gourmet-three-blend cheese sandwich on freshly-baked artisan bread” is just a grilled cheese, right?
(photo: Beauty Playin ‘E/ flickr)
5. Presentation is everything.
There’s a reason why they make dinosaur chicken nuggets.
6. We all need a break.
Ever witnessed the gleam in your baby’s eyes when he first spots your home outlets? Nothing compared to the mad rush for outlets in the morning at a coffee shop.
8. People never really grow up.From the lady who demanded that I trickle in her milk at calculated rate to ensure that her “creme would rise, pure and unbroken to the top” of her latte, to the old man who made me re-do the whipped cream on his drink five times, I think it’s time to admit that deep down, we’re all just a bunch of demanding toddlers.
9. Few things are as comforting in life as a warm drink.
Even if Mommy sometimes needs to add a special ingredient.
(photo: roboppy / flickr)
10. A lil` routine is good for the soul.
(photo: L’Aubergine Grillée / flickr)
11. Soup of the day = leftovers.
12. Everything’s better if you dip it.
(photo: Family Slinkard / flickr)
13. It’s possible to be surrounded by people and feel all alone.
Especially if those people are under three foot tall.
(photo: Justinvl / flickr)
14. If you want something in life, sometimes all you have to do is ask for it.
15. We all come in different sizes.
16. There is something to be said for eating all-natural foods.
I mean, have you tasted freshly-ground coffee? That being said, however…
17. Organic isn’t always worth the price.
Please see #4.
(photo: morganandtara / flickr)
18. There is one secret to life.
(photo: andrew_mc_d / flickr)
19. The 2-5 afternoon slump can be brutal.
20. Beans really are the magical fruit.
21. It’s just not the same without your favorite cup.
(photo: 86queensgate / flickr)