I no longer want teenagers. I’m going to lock them up in some sort of fairy tale tower and not let them leave until they are in their thirties. I know as a parent I can warn them about the dangerous of drinking and drug use and everything else, but then I hear about a story like this and I realize how freakin’ precarious growing up actually is and how stupid teenagers actually are.
Emily Bauer, from Cypress, Texas, was just like any other 17-year-old, her family describes her as “witty” and “grabbing her life and living the way she wanted to.” That all changed when Emily smoked this synthetic marijuana garbage she bought from a gas station with her friends. From Fox News:
Seventeen-year-old Emily Bauer, from Cypress, Texas, purchased the fake marijuana at a local gas station with friends in December. Just 15 minutes after smoking it, Emily said she had a migraine and wanted to lie down.
Later on, the police were called to restrain Emily, after she suffered from a series of strokes – which ultimately triggered a psychotic state. She ended up having violent hallucinations, running into walls and urinating on herself, according to the Independent.
Her friends and family hoped to dissuade her from taking the drug again once its effects wore off. But 24 hours later, Emily was still having hallucinations and trying to hurt herself.
Doctors put Emily in a medically induced coma and discovered that her seizures were a result of an inflammation of the blood vessels that supply oxygen to her brain.
Over time, pressure on Emily’s brain became so intense that her doctors had to drill a hole in her skull to provide some relief. Doctors told her family more than 70 percent of her brain was ‘dead’ and she would neither recognize her family or be able to use her arms and legs again. However, after the family decided to remove her breathing tube, Emily began to show signs of recovery – even telling her mother she loved her at one point.
Emily is still paralyzed and very confused, but has recently started to reuse her arms and legs – and even eat solid foods.
That poor girl and her poor parents. I have never seen synthetic pot before but now I’m going to be utterly terrified of it. From an image on the Facebook page the family has set up entitled, S.A.F.E – Synthetics Awareness For Emily, this is the stuff Emily was smoking the night she stated having seizures.
I’m sure on the packages it says something on a warning label about it not being made for human consumption, but if people are known to smoke it, that’s what teenagers will do.
Another sad aspect of this story is it looks like on the Facebook page Emily’s parents are receiving a lot of snark over the fact their daughter had facial piercings and pretty colored hair, and saying that this was Emily’s fault for smoking this junk. Because, you know, all of the snarkers are perfect people and their own teens have never done anything stupid.
We acknowledge that this was her choice.We think her journey can inspire people. We will share the ups & downs of the recovery of her mind & body for that reason.Emily’s an amazing person. Not perfect, not innocent- but very real. Sharing her experience here because it *can* happen to anyone. People need to know before they light this stuff up. People need to know when to call for help.
People that hate on her story are no bother to us. She never cared what your perception of her was, she knew who she was. Yes, she made a choice that almost ended her life. We acknowledge that this was her choice.We think her journey can inspire people. We will share the ups & downs of the recovery of her mind & body for that reason.
I’m rooting so hard for this girl and for her parents. It was a mistake, a stupid mistake, and I hope Emily continues to heal and that she continues recovering. I can’t imagine how difficult this all is for her and her family. We all make stupid mistakes in life, and bravo for these people bringing awareness to this creepy junk I’m now going to be utterly terrified of.
(Photos: Facebook – The insert shows Emily as she looks now)