It could happen to any number of college students around the country. And it just happened to Jon Bon Jovi‘s little girl, Stephanie Bongiovi. The 19-year-old student at Hamilton College is in some trouble after a little college partying got out of control.
Around two in the morning, police and ambulance were called to the dorms where Bongiovi was unresponsive, possibly due to a heroin overdose. The teen is said to be fine, but now faces misdemeanor charges for possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana. At the dorms, police officers found heroin, marijuana, and drugÂ paraphernalia, and arrested another student, as well.
While drug use and possible overdose are nothing to brush off, it’s sad to say that they are also not out of the norm on plenty of college campuses. Partying on college campuses tends to go overboard and involve drug experimentation more often than most parents would like to acknowledge. My guess is that there were dozens of other students around the country in the past couple of days who possibly took things too far or who get arrested for possession of a controlled substance in the dorm rooms. This case is only making it to the media because it involves a celebrity kid.
For it’s part, Bongiovi’s school released a statement saying,
“In addition to violating state law, the actions alleged to have been committed by the students violate Hamilton College policy. The college is cooperating with the police investigation. Our first concern is always for the safety of our students. Out of respect for the privacy of our students and in accordance with federal regulations we do not discuss individual health or disciplinary matters.”
One thing is for sure, our sympathies have to go out to Jon Bon Jovi and his wife Dorothea. Â For all of their success, it’s still a parent’s nightmare to hear that your child’s health might be in danger. Then there’s that whole drug arrest thing. No matter how common college partying is, that doesn’t help the parents who have to deal with outcomes like this. In fact, this might be one of the very few cases where celebrity parents are a little like the rest of us: worried and angry, but ultimately happy that your child is okay.
(Photo:Â Adriana M. Barraza/WENN)